In a recent post titled "95 awesome Social media facts you should know". Social media expert, Jeff Bullas reveals various facts about 10 of the top social media platforms that entrepreneurs. business owners and marketers need to consider
Snapchat was launched in September 2011 after Evan Spiegel presented it as class project at Stanford University while studying product design. It’s initial working title was “Picaboo” and was based on the concept of using images that were explicitly short-lived.
- There are over 100 million active daily users
- Snapchat users watch over 6 billion videos daily (remember they are only 10 seconds in length)
- 8,796 photos are shared every second
- 30% of media planners, agencies and brands plan to include Snapchat in their Super Bowl campaigns
- 65% of Snapchat users upload photos every day
- 76% of millennials use Snapchat
Infographic source: Stateofdigital.com
Facebook has been with us since February 2004. It’s current valuation is $350 billion. It may become the world’s first trillion dollar company.
- Facebook users now total 1.65 billion monthly users
- 823 million mobile only users
- Net income for first quarter 2016 was $1.51 billion
- Facebook’s current market value is $321 billion
- It so far has spent over $25 billion buying competitors (Including Instagram, WhatsApp and the virtual reality company Occulus)
- 83% of parents on Facebook are friends with their children on Facebook
- Facebook adds half a million new users every day
- 47% of all Internet users are on Facebook
- 4.5 billion likes are generated daily
- Facebook takes up 22% of Internet time (compared to 11% for Google and YouTube combined)
- Facebook has 19% of the $70 billion spent on global mobile advertising
- 78% of Facebook advertising revenue comes from mobile ads
Stats source: Brandwatch
Infographic source: Jaydeemedia
Instagram has just hit half a billion users. Facebook paid $1 billion for it in 2012 and was seen as possibly foolish at the time. In hindsight it is now looking very wise and astute. Current estimated value? According to Bank of America it could be as high as $37 billion.
- 500 million monthly users
- 20% of all internet users are on Instagram
- Average engagement on Instagram posts is 1.1%
- 91% of all Instagram posts are photos
- 90% of all Instagram users are younger than 35
- 41% of Instagram users are aged between 16 and 24
- 47% of Millenials use Instagram as a messaging app (compared to 50% for Facebook messenger)
- One third of teenagers say Instagram is their most important social network
- 28% of Us users use Instagram
- Instagram has doubled each year for the past 2 years
- 80 million photos are uploaded daily
Infographic source: Maximizesocialbusiness
Twitter is struggling but with over 300 million users it is still a social network worth taking seriously. As its timeline is still quite open the platform is often used as a metric to measure online influence.
- It currently has 310 million monthly users
- In 2015 it had revenue of $2.2 billion
- Katy Perry has over 85 million followers on Twitter
- The most retweeted tweet is the Oscar selfie by Ellen DeGeneres at 3.4 million times
- 500 million people view Twitter without logging in
- 1 billion people each month view sites with embedded tweets
- 200 billion tweets are sent every year
- 500 million tweets are sent each day
- Donald Trump has 7 million followers on Twitter
Infographic source: Globalmediainsight.com
YouTube is almost seen as a dinosaur on the modern social web (started on February 14, 2005) but the numbers show it’s a big dinosaur and still growing. Google’s acquisition in 2006 for $1.65 billion that seems insignificant with it now being valued around $80 billion.
- YouTube has over 1.3 billion users
- One third of the world’s Internet population use YouTube
- Adele’s song “Hello” only took 5 days to reach 100 million views
- In the USA YouTube reaches more 18-49 year olds than the cable networks
- On mobile the average viewing time on YouTube is 40 minutes
- More than 50% of all YouTube views are on mobile
- You can use 76 different languages on YouTube
- Growth in watch time is up over 50% year on year for the last 3 years
- 5 billion videos are watched every day
- It costs $6.3 billion to open up the doors every year and keep YouTube running and maintained
- PewDiePie is YouTube’s highest paid YouTube partner at $12.5 million
Infographic source: Fortunelords
It is now six years since Flipboard launched and often not taken as seriously as it should be by digital and content marketers. I have been using it for 2 years and it sometimes drives more traffic than Facebook to my site.
How do I use it?
Created my own personal magazine and then “flip” the posts into it after publishing it on the blog.
- Flipboard has approximately 90 million users
- Flipboard doubled its monthly users from 40 million to 80 million in less than a year
- JP Morgan led a $50 million funding round in Flipboard in 2014.
- Flipboard’s total funding is $210.5 million
- It is valued between $800 million and $1.32 billion
- The top three user interests on Flipboard are Tech, news and design
Infographic source: Flipboard.com
LinkedIn has just been bought by Microsoft. It will be interesting to see how that affects its evolution and growth. But there is one thing you should keep in mind.
If you are an avid user of linkedIn and rely almost exclusively on it for leads and creating business relationships then be very careful that you don’t do this.
Put all your eggs in a basket you don’t own.
- Linkedin has more than 433 million members worldwide
- Over 25 million Linkedin profiles are viewed every day
- First quarter revenue for 2016 was $861 million
- Full year revenue for 2016 is projected to reach $3.7 billion
- Microsoft bought Linkedin for $26.2 billion
- 9 percent growth year on year
- 105 million unique visiting members per month
- 60 percent mobile usage
- 45 billion quarterly member page views
- 101 percent annual growth every year with its job listing
- There are more than 7 million active job listings
- One in twenty Linkedin profiles belong to recruiters
- One out of every three professionals on the planet are on LinkedIn
- 200 conversations per minute occur in LinkedIn groups
Infographic source: Remessaged
WhatsApp began as a simple idea: Their mission? “Ensuring that anyone could stay in touch with family and friends anywhere on the planet, without costs or gimmicks standing in the way“.
It’s about the art of keeping it simple and minimalist. It worked.
- WhatsApp started in 2009.
- Facebook bought WhatsApp for $19 billion
- It now has over one billion users
- 1 million new users join every day
- 42 billion messages are sent every 24 hours
- 32% of millennials use Whatsapp globally
- 1.6 billion photos are shared daily
- 250 million video messages are sent a day
- There are over 1 billion groups on Whatsapp
- 57 engineers are employed by the company
Infographic source: Metro.co.uk
See More Here
Source : Jeff Bullas