"We know how to organise a camp, a tent or buildings for the winter but what we are not able to cope with is a massive wave of people moving every day. It is impossible. And with the (severe) winter weather in the Balkans there could be a tragedy at any moment,"
This were the words of the United nations refugee agency(UNHCR) chief Antonio Guterres as Greece was hit by a huge new surge in migrants as the United Nations approved a European seize-and-destroy military operation against people smugglers in the Mediterranean.
And the head of the UN's refugee agency warned of a humanitarian disaster this winter unless Greece was given much more help to house the new arrivals.
With 570,000 people having already arrived in the EU so far this year, the figures from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) underlined the limited scope of the relocation scheme, which seeks to move 160,000 refugees from Italy and Greece over the next two years.
Sweden alone expects to process 150,000 asylum applications this year, Prime Minister Stefan Loven said Friday, adding it may have to house some of them in heated tents.
The IOM said the surge in numbers arriving in Greece "may be due to expected worsening weather conditions".
Also, the backing for EU navies to take action against traffickers in international waters came as the first asylum seekers were flown from Italy to Sweden under a hotly disputed relocation scheme to share the burden of Europe's migrant crisis.
- 19 Norther Nigerian government on the path to checkmate Boko Haram
- The “Lucky one” in Oregon shooting speaks