It was indeed a tragic day in France on Thursday night as many citizens of the country came out to celebrate the 14 the of July celebration known as "The Bastille Day" which is French Independence day, when all of a sudden an armed man drove at high speed along the crowded seafront promenade in Nice killing 84 people and injuring about 100 people.
Below are the latest updates and everything you need to know about the tragic incident as culled from Guardian
- A large truck has ploughed into crowds celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.
- The crash, which left at least 80 people dead, including several children and 18 seriously injured, is being treated as a terrorist attack.
- The driver of the truck was shot dead by police. They are trying to determine if he had accomplices.
- Authorities said the man had been firing on the crowd and police as he drove, and that the truck was loaded with weapons and grenades. Unverified reports said the rifles were fake and the grenade was ‘inactive’.
- Witnesses said the driver was “zigzagging” so he could hit as many people as possible. It was reported that he drove into the crowd for 2km at a speed of about 50km/h.
- Some told of parents frantically throwing their children over fences to avoid them being struck by the lorry as a “stampede” of people rushed down the Promenade des Anglais.
- Unconfirmed reports in French media said an ID card belonging to a 31-year-old resident of Nice who had dual French-Tunisian nationality had been found in the truck.
- Reports said the driver was known to police, but not for terrorist-related activity.
- No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- The country’s state of emergency, which was due to expire on 26 July, is to be extended for three months.
- Hollande is on his way to Paris from Avignon to chair an emergency security and defence meeting at 9am on Friday. He will then head to Nice with Valls. Cazeneuve is in Nice. World leaders including Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have condemned the attack. Donald Trump has postponed the announcement of his running mate. Nice hospitals have launched an appeal for blood donations in the wake of the attack.
Watch the Video of the incident;